Tuesday 26 October 2010

Like a scout - always prepared

It was a great surprise to me and the squirrel when he fell out of the tree...

I was working (or more accurately swimming) along a stream somewhere in Midlothian when I hauled meself out for a good shake.

It was as I was standing on the bank that I heard a crack and a squirrel, still clinging to the broken branch, landed next to me.

I was so surprised that I didn't even jump... he looked at me and I looked at him until he shook himself and staggered, slightly dazed towards a tree trunk.  Suddenly I realised the opportunity that was being presented to me... here was my chance to actually catch something that I was chasing... something that has never happened before!

With a bark I took off after the little varmint, but it was too late, he'd recovered and shot up the tree and I was left barking and tryin' to save a little face with me humans.

I heard Renee talking about it later (and it hurt when everyone had a good laugh).

She said the same thing had happened to her once.  Well, not a squirrel falling out of a tree.  In a previous business she was working away when a potential client came knocking at the door.  It could have been a biggy but she was so surprised she didn't perform at her best and the client legged it up a tree.

That was a long time ago and she's always ready for new clients - she's realised that winning new clients and looking after the ones she's already got is her work.  The other stuff; admin and all that is secondary to clients.

She learnt her lesson and I'm goin' to do the same.

Next time a squirrel lands on me head, I'm going to grab it's sickeningly fluffy tail and not let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment