Monday 27 October 2014

Big sad eyes

I'm discoverin' a couple of new weapons in me quest to be the cutest dog in the greatest Kingdom on Earth...

I'm sure many other subjects of the animal Kingdom want to be the same but they just don't stand a chance.

You see, when someone comes into the shop who I didn't know I'd sort of plod over to them, 'ave a little sniff and, if they don't have any food on 'em, I'd plod back to Dickie Boy's desk to keep an eye on him.

I have to do that because if I don't he'll do something stupid, like get lost on his way to the loo or disappear for days on end working down south.

I don't know, that boy, for a smart human can sometimes be very stupid indeed.

Anyway, if someone I know comes into the office like, say Alan Johnston from City Local, I'll bound over to him and make a fuss, presenting me backside to be scratched and sometimes even planting me paws on a manly chest just so as it's easy to scratch around be shell likes... (that's ears, by the way).

Now, the other day, I had a dilemma.

In comes this lady, who looked very sensible and nice to me.  I padded over in me usual way to say hello and do you know what?

Nothing.

Not a flicker.

She didn't 'coo' at me, offer a single scratch or even look at me.

I was flabbergasted.  My gast was well and truly flabbered.

Well, I wasn't 'aving that.  I had to do something.

So. I sat down next to the lady, with me back to her.  I turned me head and looked over me shoulder at her and made me brown eyes melt and dissolve... in fact, I almost shed a manly tear.

And, do yo know what?

It worked!

'Awwww... didn't I pay you any attention?  You poor boy.  I'm sorry.  There you are, how's that,' says she, scratching the top of me head.

Well, it was famous, I can tell you.

I've tried it a couple of times since... the big doleful eyes, very quiet and manly and it's worked every time.

Dickie boy reckons it's just about knowing your customers and what's important to them... and treating them all differently.  He reckons there's this phrase:

'Treat customers as you would want to be treated yourself' which he says is plain wrong.  'How about,' says he, 'treating customers as they want to be treated?'

Good point.  I like 'having me butt scratched, but I'm not sure it would work if I tried to do it to anyone else!

Before signing off this week I wonder if I could ask a favour?  We'd be very grateful if you'd visit and Like our Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/AccountantsEdinburgh 

No comments:

Post a Comment