Thursday 7 May 2015

Communication

I heard a story this morning that was very funny...

Well, to be honest, Dickie boy heard the story and told me later.  I thought it was worth sharing.

Dick was at a BNI meeting this morning and one of the guys there runs a garage - or at least his son does; the fella at the meeting was a sub for the day.

His 60 second story was all about communication and what he thought was a fairly clear instruction.

This is how the story ran:

A guy came into the garage for four new tyres on his Mondeo.  'How long will it be?'  Asks he.

'Well,' I replied, 'Each tyre will take me about fifteen minutes and I know you're on time but I'm running about fifteen minutes late, so it will be an hour and a quarter all told.

And having said that I took the fellas car keys and laid them on the counter in the office.

'Would you like to you like to wait in reception, or come back?'

The customer looked thoughtful for a minute and then decided that he would come back.

Ten minutes later the boss of the garage (my son) fixes me with a steely stare and says, 'Where are the keys for the Mondeo... come to think of it, where'e the Mondeo?'

'Well, that was a bum clenching moment', says the tyre guy to the meeting... 'And I have to say the rest of the morning was a bit frosty in the garage.

'I thought I'd given a perfectly reasonable and straightforward instruction.  But no.  It turns out that I didn't.  I learned a valuable lesson that day... but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was!'

And with that he sat down.

Absolute genius and a brilliantly told story with just the right amount of drama and comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment