Monday 16 August 2010

Travel – A right royal pain in the whotsit

Now I don’t mind a car journey as long as it meets three criteria:



1. It’s short

2. There’s some fun at the end of it

3. The window’s left n a bit so I can stick me nose out



My human does a fair bit of travelling up and down the country and sometimes I have to go with her.



It’s an experience I can tell you... but it’s much like she’s in the office, savvy?



Here’s why: Going down the A1, it’s a hundred miles an hour (not literally, of course. That would be speeding) until, whoa! Roadworks. Then it’s fifty for thirty miles and me human is getting all frustrated at not going fast enough and even more frustrated at the cars streaming by, apparently disregarding the ‘Average Speed Check’ cameras.



‘Why should they get away with it?’ She said about 20 times.



I dunno, thought I. I’m a dog.



In the office it’s much the same... a hundred miles an hour (figuratively) and it’s work, work, work, production, printing, work, scanning, meetings, admin and then some more work.



Personally I prefer to stretch out in the sunshine and look cute... it’s what I’m best at, after all!



Every so often, though, me human has the brakes put on. Not by her, by other people. It’s as though she’s hit roadworks; and boy does it frustrate the living daylights out of her.



If it were me, I’d look at things a bit differently.



You see, my human thinks she’s in competition with all those cars streaming by... but she’s not. She doesn’t know where they’re going, she only knows where she’s going.



In business it’s important to slow down every so often and take stock. It’s both impossible and dangerous to run at a hundred miles an hour all the time. Just think of it like a car journey. You might be forced to stop anyway to fill up with fuel, or worse still, run out altogether. You might get caught by the rozzers and, once again, you’ll have to stop.



All these things can happen to a business where the owner isn’t taking time to make sure they are still going in the right direction and are being as efficient in the business as they can be.



There’s another danger, too.



If you take a wrong turn and you’re going at a hundred miles an hour and you don’t slow down to check the directions, you’re just driving away from where you to be very fast...



So, my doggy advice is, when you hit roadworks or have to stop for fuel, take some time to reflect, to make sure you’re still heading in the right direction and to have a look at the scenery you’re passing through... particularly if there are rabbits to chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment