Wednesday 8 September 2010

It Ain't Easy...

...being a dog.

No sooner have I sat down than some one (usually my human) has chucked something across the room...

I try to ignore it but there's something in me that just won't let me.  I have to go and fetch it, bring it back and drop it a my human's feet, only to have the thing thrown across the room again!

Why she can't just let me lie in peace I just don't know.

Being in business is the same - especially if you're running your own business.

My other human is experiencing this a bit right now.  Business is going well and there are a core group of customers who all pay regularly.  The bills are covered and he can even pay himself a little bit, too.  In short, if he was a dog (and he could do worse) he would be content... happy, even, with his lot.

He should kick back a bit, deal witht he work he's got and relax.

Does he listen to me?

No!

He gets an email from a potential customer, he's after like a dog with a bone (excuse the pun).  It's not that he's chasing business, it just comes and, because he runs his own business he feels as though he has to take it.

'After all,' says he, 'you never know when there will be difficult times.'

In a way he's right and my shaggy, dog heart goes out to everyone whocan't do what I do... take mesdlf off into the bedroom and collapse at the foot of the bed.

The secret is, of course, to get enough work so you can pass it out to other people and you can 'manage' rather than 'do'.  The alternative is to be happy with what you've got or bust your buns!

The other thing you need to do is get yourself some help... you know; proper business advice and support.  They can't do the wortk for you but at least you get a trusted adviser who will help you see the wood for the trees... and that can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment