Wednesday 23 October 2013

Big things from little things

It strikes me as funny how you humans make big things from little things and vice versa.

I was thinking about this after encountering me new friend Denzil.  I have included a picture to show you why big vs little was suddenly at the forefront of me mind:



Let me explain what I mean...

Me human, Richard, once made a screw up at work, when he was still employed that was.  It wasn't a big screw up, just a little thing.

He ordered some training manuals in an old version and had to re-order some more.  All told the problem cost his company (a bank as it happens) about a hundred quid or so.

The thing was darling Dickie boy had to go through a procurement process even for this amount of money and, because he screwed up, he had to tell his boss that he needed another purchase order and why.

Blimey, did he worry about it... a got a knot in the pit of his stomach, couldn't sleep and really worried about things for days.

Finally, he screwed up the courage to tell his boss what he'd done.  And do you know what his boss said?

Yep, on this occasion you are quite correct...

'Thanks for telling me, no problem.'

Not only did he feel massive relief he also felt like a right muppet and was very angry with himself for not having the balls to confront things earlier.  (That's a doggy expression by the way and nothing to do with what you're thinking right now... honest).

I'm also finding the opposite is true of you humans, too.

Things that are really massive are sometimes dismissed with an 'Oh, it'll be alright.'

Take me for instance.  I heard me human Renee saying 'Barney's not going to be happy we're going out tonight.'  And all Richard could say was 'Oh, he'll be alright!'

See what I mean?

A massive decision to leave me alone was dismissed with four words.  As it happened I was alright.  I mean what better place is there than being in the presence of me own magnificence?

But there are other things, too.

Me human Renee is always talking about what's important and what's not.  Take accounts for instance.

Just about every accountant in the world talks about 'doing accounts' and being good at it.  But think about it this way - accounts are what accountants do; they should only be an issue if they go wrong.  So she gets her team at TaxAssist to differentiate themselves on how they look after customers - how they feel when they come to see us.

Of course, I play my full part in this... after all, who could not be happy at seeing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment