Monday 30 September 2013

Fabulous, Darling

I, in my infinite wisdom, have been lying around in the office for many months now...

I've begun to pick up on certain words and phrases which are beginning to pass into TaxAssist folklore.

But I'm starting the story in the middle, so to speak.  So let me explain a bit more about where I'm coming from.

It all started (we think) with Nicola Wilson in the office... you know the one: Nicola is the lady who Richard tries to take a picture of every week for Facebook and always fails.  She's either got her hands up, or her back turned or maybe there's just a spinning chair as she's made a harp sharp....

Whatever...

The important fact is that she's too fast for Richard.  You can see how fast she is here:

https://www.facebook.com/AccountantsEdinburgh

Anyway, back to Nicola.  It all started with a little phrase she says on the 'phone: 'Nae Bother' which is fine 'cos she always says it very nicely.  Richard, though. has started taking the mick by asking her 'How are you spelling that?'

And it's now dropped into the team's general language.  If anyone hears anyone else saying 'Nae Bother' it's immediately followed by 'How are you spelling that?'

Hilarious.  (Or at least everyone seems to think so.  I have to say it goes over my doggy head.  I must be a little bit too intelligent for our team...)

But other things have started to drop in, too.

Take the word 'Fabulous'.

It's brilliant.  'Fab-u-lous, Darling' expresses so much in just too words.  Say it in a Danny La Rue (or Sharon Osborne for those of a younger disposition) type way and you can get all sorts of nuances out of it.

But now the team says: 'Fabelous'... yes, 'Fab-e-lous'.

I mean, what's all that about?  Where did it come from?  Why is it encroaching on the language of the office and why has none of the team ever used it to describe me?

And, clearly, the answer to that last question is the most important of all!

I do recognise the need for social lubrication in making the world go round... after all, that's why you humans are so obsessed with talking about the weather... social lubrication, you see.  But please, for heaven's sake can you get your pronunciation right.

It drives me nuts and it would be nae bother to make the world fabelous.

Still it gives the team something to talk about!


No comments:

Post a Comment